The golf course at Woodlands Manor was first constructed in 1928 and laid out by J.H. Taylor, the six times Open Champion. J.H. Taylor and Henry Cotton played the opening round of the course. During the 2nd World War the course was closed in 1941 in the “Dig for Victory” campaign and reopened in 1968, the majority having been redesigned by Neil Coles built on chalk.